Monday, November 7, 2005

this morning

the cool morning of a day off
I do a series of slow things.
Tend to my nails
A luxury normally reserved for dates or interviews
Not a hurried task

Soften the cuticles
Push them back
Strip off the old paint
Brush on Baguette Beige
Put the tea kettle on
wait
nowhere to be just yet
Ready for a second coat
This layer goes on milky white
My nails become splashes of cream at the tips of my fingers

Careful, don't smudge
The hot water goes into the French Press
wait
The paint is drying
The coffee is brewing
this is not just standing around
this is waiting
this is all i can be doing at the moment
I stir the coffee
Press down on the strainer
Deliberately slowly
Moments when I could be making lists
Cleaning
Calling
But this is the only thing I'm doing
Pushing the grounds to the bottom
And faster won't make it better
Finally
At the end of my slow race
I finish last and win
my deep smooth brew

Nails must be dry now
I pour my coffee and measure out
One exact tablespoon of cream
Think about the color and not the calories
This is my vacation
my creamy nails and coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment