Thursday, August 21, 2008

You're the yellow bird that I've been waiting for...

So lately I've been really into the idea of getting a bird for a pet. Beyond interweb research, today I visited a bird shop to get a little more information. My idea of a pet bird is one that is lovely to look at, not too loud and low maintenance. Being able to hold it doesn't really matter to me. Actually, having a bird just hanging out with me kind of freaks me out.
I am really drawn to this little guy:

A Parisian, or frilled, Canary. But then there's this: "Frilled canaries do tend to be a little more high strung and nervous than other canary breeds."
The bird I would have picked if I'd bought one at the shop today would have been the parrotlet, also called a pocket parrot, as evidenced here:

They are supposedly low maintenance, like to be handled and only the males sing and they don't sing often. I would have to get a girl because they are so much cheaper ($70 compared to $270 for a male) and the girls are green. Which is ok, I guess.
I also liked the diamond dove:

I think cockatiels are bossy, lovebirds are ugly, and conures are too tropical looking.
I think what I'm looking for is a dog-shaped bird that looks and behaves like a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment